Monday, February 8, 2021

     While I was watching the talk, "Trouble Online: Campus Computing and the Law" presented by C.L. Lindsay III, I had a few thoughts on the idea of plagiarism being a business. The idea of selling written works for the purposes of helping students in their classes being a big business blows my mind. I knew that plagiarism happens, but to the degree that C.L.Lindsay described is incredible. The business not only makes money on you for selling you a paper, but to extort more money from you by threatening to rat you out to your school is crazy to think. I was taken a back being naïve about things like this, but it sure makes me think to not put it past people to think of things like this. 

    Some of simplest and yet best advice Lindsay gives in his talk is, "If something is not alright to do in real life, it's not alright to do online." This advice is a reminder that we are not safe in our own home behind a computer screen doing things we're not supposed to be doing. I know illegal online activity happens and this litmus test of choices helps me to stay far away from it. 

The video described in this post can be found here: https://cdnapisec.kaltura.com/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/1371761/uiconf_id/13362791/entry_id/1_0wn0c02h/embed/dynamic


1 comment:

  1. The Internet is one of the most useful inventions and advances in my lifetime; however, with this invention comes the need to learn how to use it responsibly. I thought the best words of advice that C.L. Lindsay offered during his presentation was "If it is illegal in the real world, then it is illegal on the Internet." His second most important piece of advice: Fair and legal are not the same thing. Words to live by each time we click on our computers or tap on our devices.

    I was glad he mentioned TurnItIn. There is definitely controversy about TurnItIn here at UIS. Many students feel that the company is making money off of work that they create. And that furthermore, a good professor should be able to tell when a student is cheating without resorting to third-party programs. Its an interesting debate, and one that has no clear cut answer.

    I'm glad you enjoyed his speech and found it worth your time. I enjoy it every time I watch it! And as you can imagine, I was thrilled when UIS brought Mr. Lindsay to campus not once but twice. If his presentation helps just one student make better decisions about their online activity, it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete